The training establishment of Kerala Police has come a long way since the Police Training School of Travancore state in 1882 and the Police Training College at Thiruvananthapuram (Trivandrum) that has been in existence since 1943. Travancore Maharaja Visakham Thirunal established Trivandrum Police Training School in 1882 to train police forces of Travancore. Primary training like physical drills, martial arts and language training were given, primarily to senior police officials of Travancore Royal Police.
When Kerala was formed on November1, 1952, the whole Police Force of Kerala came under IGP Kerala. In 1949, office of the Inspector General of Police functioned from Public office near Museum Thiruvananthapuram. It was shifted to the present building (Dilkhush Bunglow) in 1956. It was then called Chief office. The post of IGP changed to Director General of Police, Kerala and the term Police Headquarters was introduced in the year 1982. During 2011 the post of Director General of Police changed to State Police Chief.